Weston HS, MS and Field School Are Mask-Optional Starting Monday Feb 28
Communication this afternoon from Dr. Midge Connolly, WPS School Superintendent, and Jamy Gaynor, Director of Health Services, confirmed that tomorrow, February 28, 2022, will begin the next phase of Covid precautions with masks being optional for all students, faculty and staff at Weston High School, Middle School and Field School. Both Woodland and Country K-3 elementary schools are mask-required until March 7 (and the reasons for this are outlined in the communication to school families).
According to the communication (available online here), teachers and support staff are prepared to support students during this transition and ensure that every student’s choice to mask or not mask will be respected. Additionally, masks (surgical, KN95 and N95) will be available at each school for any student or staff member who requests them.
One large change that happened over break is that the CDC lifted the mask mandate for all public school vans and buses. Beginning tomorrow, Monday February 28, 2022 masks will be optional on all Weston public school buses for all grades. Private Schools and collaboratives as well private transportation companies will be making their decisions on masking independently. Masks are still required in the school health offices and in the COVID-19 testing areas.
The Weston Public School District is dependent upon all students, staff, and families working together to ensure this transition is successful. The Superintendent and Director of Health Services ask that the following best-practices be continued (these are copied verbatim from the communication):
- Vaccination remains that single most effective means of reducing COVID-19 illness. All unvaccinated students and staff are strongly encouraged to seek vaccination and wear a mask while in school. Click here to access the WBOH vaccination clinic page.
- All students and staff who feel ill are strongly encouraged to remain home and test – rapid antigen or PCR testing options remain available to all. Any student who tests positive for COVID-19 will be able to access school remotely and should contact their school administrator or school nurse for next steps.
- All eligible students and staff are strongly encouraged to continue weekly participation in one or both testing programs (at-home rapid antigen or pool testing)
- Any person recovering from COVID-19 infection and returning to school on days 6-10 MUST mask with a tightly fitted mask at all times except when eating
- All students and staff MUST mask in the school health office, and in the COVID-19 testing areas
- Any student or staff who is recovering from a non-COVID-19 related illness and is displaying respiratory symptoms should wear a mask to protect others
- All students and staff MUST maintain a safe school environment by respecting the rights of others to choose their masking preference. Bullying or harassment of students or staff based upon their masking choice will not be tolerated and will be subject to investigation by the building administrator.
Guidance from each building will be communicated out to staff and families over the next several days. With recent increases in travel over the February vacation we ask that all eligible students and staff test today, Sunday, February 27th, using the at-home antigen tests and report any positive results here. We strongly encourage those who have not enrolled in the weekly at-home testing program, and have recently returned from travel, test using at home rapid testing or PCR testing. Click here to find a local PCR testing location.
Thanks to everyone in the Weston community for your support and commitment to keeping Weston Schools open and safe.