Nomination Papers: How to Get on the Ballot after Town Caucus
As the Owl posted on Tuesday morning, Town Caucus took place on Monday night, and townspeople were nominated for all roles. Except for one, which is rather important–there is one School Committee vacancy without any Caucus nominee(s). It has a three-year term. The 2022 Annual Town Caucus Results are available for review.
Now….why do we not have a Caucus nominee? Have we ever had a no-volunteer School Committee moment? I don’t really know what to make of this. I do know it has been a very rough two and a half years for schools, administration, faculty and students–and of course Committee members. I do question, however, how we have so many residents with so many opinions on how things could be done better by SC and yet…are not signing up for it. Now is your moment. Get yourself some nomination papers.
From official town nomination communications:
To Obtain Nomination Papers:
- Contact the Town Clerk to make an appointment at 781-786-5010
- Prospective candidates must obtain nomination papers from the Town Clerk by March 17th at 5:00 p.m.
- Residents obtaining papers must be registered to vote in Weston
- Signatures collected must be from registered voters in Weston
- The minimum number of signatures required is 50 (best practice is to get a few more than required)
- Nomination papers with signatures are due to the Town Clerk by March 21st at 5:00 p.m. in order to have your name appear on the ballot
Questions about the town election process should be addressed to the Town Clerk’s office at 781-786-5010.
The Annual Town Election will occur on May 7, 2022, from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Weston Town Hall Auditorium. All precincts will report to Weston Town Hall to vote.
The Annual Town Meeting will occur on May 9, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. at the Weston High School Auditorium & Gymnasium.
Additional Information For Candidates
Candidates for elected office should keep records of any campaign donations received and funds spent on their campaigns if any. A campaign finance report must be filed with the Town Clerk according to the following schedule:
- 8 days before the election
- 30 days after the election
- At the end of the calendar year (due January 10 of the next year)
The Town Clerk’s Office supplies the report forms at the appropriate times. The state office of Campaign and Political Finance can provide further information.
A list of offices is available at WestonMA.gov/TownElection. The incumbents are listed as a matter of public information without promise they are seeking re-election. The list will be updated as papers are submitted and certified.
See also the Description of Elected Offices (PDF).